This self-drive tour visits Okonjima, home of the AfriCat Foundation, a private concession bordering the western side of Etosha National Park and up to the Kunene River and Epupa Falls. Swinging south to Palmwag spend a morning rhino tracking then travel via the Skeleton Coast National Park to the coastal town of Swakopmund. No visit would be complete without experiencing the Namib Desert and the dunes of Sossusvlei, before heading home, a night in the Kalahari region of Namibia with an afternoon sundowner drive.
|Day 1||Olive Grove Guest House||Windhoek||B + B||Twin||1 night|
|Day 2||Okonjima Plains Camp||Okonjima Nature Reserve||DBB||View twin||2 nights|
|Day 4||Hobatere Lodge||outer western Etosha||DBB||Twin||1 night|
|Day 5||Epupa Falls Lodge||Epupa Falls||DBB||Twin||2 nights|
|Day 7||Palmwag Lodge||Palmwag||DBB||Twin||2 nights|
|Day 9||Terrace Bay||Skeleton Coast||DBB||Twin||1 night|
|Day 10||Strand Hotel||Swakopmund||B + B||Twin||1 night|
|Day 11||Dead Valley Lodge||Sesriem||DBB + FB||Twin||2 nights|
|Day 13||Bagatelle||Kalahari||DBB||Twin||1 night|
|Day 14||To Windhoek|
Based on 2 people travelling: from NAD58 005.00 per person sharing.
• Accommodation as indicated in the itinerary.
• Vehicle – double cabin 4×4: Collision damage waiver, Second Driver Fee, Stamp Duty Fee, Second Spare Tyre, Tyre & windscreen cover, Standard Accessories – Radio/CD, Air conditioner, Tow rope, Jumper cables, Spare wheel, jack and wheel spanner, tyre gauge. Unlimited kilometres, roadside assistance and recovery charges (only if damage not caused by negligent driving), VAT. Vehicle is not insured for night-time driving outside urban areas. Transfers from/to airport
• VAT + Tourism Levy
• Activities as specified in program
• Vehicle exclusions: Blocked deposit of N$4500 – N$6500 depending on vehicle type, Late collection/delivery of vehicle outside of office hours N$550, Fuel – actual re-fuelling cost + 10%, Sandblasting damage, Side windows, Contract fee N$100 per rental, Tyre side-wall damage (N$99 per day), Water and under carriage damage, Personal accident insurance, Traffic Fine handling fee of N$250 / incident, Claim administration fees in the case of theft and/or damage N$350, Tow in charges where damage was caused by negligent driving, Roof or Body damages not caused by accident/collision. Lost key call out fee N$10 / km + actual key replacement cost.
Cross border permit to Botswana, South Africa, Zambia & Zimbabwe N$650. Cross border customs fees/insurance etc. (for e.g. Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana) for drivers own account. Young driver fee, 23 to 25yrs, N$ 100 per day, Child Safety seat of N$500 per rental, one way delivery, delivery fees outside Windhoek city border, cross Border Fees if applicable. Meals other than specified
• Additional activities not specified in program
• Park /Entrance Fees (NAD150.00 per person & NAD50.00 per vehicle per day) & sightseeing fees (average NAD100.00 per person per day) – prices subject to change.
• All beverages (bottled water, juices, soft drinks & alcoholic drinks, snacks etc)
• International & regional flights and Airport Taxes (if applicable)
• Travel Insurance
• All expenses of a personal nature
• A valid driver’s license is required for all drivers. If this license is not printed in English it must be accompanied by an International Driver’s License or an EU drivers licence is also acceptable.
Route: Windhoek Airport to City
Distance: 48 km
Journey: You will be met at Hosea Kutako International Airport and transfer you to the City, check in to your guest house.
Route: Windhoek to Okonjima Game Reserve
Distance: 225 km
Journey: leaving Windhoek travel via the town of Okahandja, founded around 1800 by two local groups, the Herero and the Nama it is known as the Garden town of Namibia. South of Otjiwarongo lies Okonjima, home to the AfriCat Foundation, this first night on tour is a great place to become attuned to the sights and sounds of the bush. Optional afternoon drive - or visit the AfriCat Centre.
Route: Okonjima Game Reserve - Hobatere Lodge
Distance: 375 km
Journey: an early start from Okonjima travel north through the town of Otjwarongo and on to Kamanjab, heading due north to a private concession situated outside the Etosha National Park boundary.
Aim to arrive just after or for lunch so as to participate in the afternoon game drive OR night drive with the lodge.
This morning you'll take a drive to a nearby Himba settlement returning to the lodge for lunch. Mid to late afternoon learn about the Epupa Falls Valley, search for crocodiles, wildlife and the Fish eagle on the Angolan side of the River whilst watching the sun set over this wonderful area.
Route: Epupa Falls - Palmwag Lodge
Distance: 412 km
Journey: Return to the town of Opuwo before heading due south to the settlement of Sesfontein, your lodge is situated south of here.
Rely on your experienced guide and follow the tracks of the black rhino. An open game drive vehicle brings you to the location, where the rhino tracking is done on foot. Return to the lodge for lunch and mid-afternoon depart on an afternoon drive to see the amazing wildlife including rhino, desert elephants and the largest predator population outside the Etosha National Park. Refreshments and light snacks are included.
Route: Palmwag Lodge - Terrace Bay
Distance: 195 km
Journey: a leisurely departure from Palmwag - enter the Skeleton National Park via the Springbokwasser gate and travel to Torra Bay and Terrace Bay where you overnight. Take some time to wander the beach area and great opportunities for sunset over the Atlantic (weather permitting).
Route: Terrace Bay - Swakopmund
Distance: 360 km
Journey: South of Terrace Bay we have the Uniab River Delta where a hide has been set up next to a waterhole, stop a while to observe the animal and birdlife. Tracks could include oryx, springbok, black-backed jackal and possibly brown hyena. North of the Ugab Gate one finds the rusty remains of an old oil rig which has become a nesting place for a breeding colony of Cape Cormorants. The colony attracts brown hyena and black-backed jackals. There are a number of shipwrecks in the area, yet most are rusted and no much remains, along the main road which passes close to the shore, you should be able to see the rusting remains of the ‘South West Seal’ (SW Seal) wrecked in 1976.
Exit the National Park passing through the Ugab River Gate with the two skeleton heads and whale bones on both sides which has become an attraction in its own right.
Route: Swakopmund to Namib Naukluft Park
Distance: 345 km
Journey: Leave Swakopmund to the harbour town of Walvis Bay before heading south travelling across the gravel plains of the Namib Desert, endless horizons. The surrounds of the Kuiseb and Gaub Canyon provide good geological phenomenon, in addition you may see the elusive Mountain Zebra. After crossing the Tropic of Capricorn head on to the settlement of Solitaire. Aim to arrive at your lodge mid to late afternoon. Check in and visit Elim dune – a great place for sundowners with the dunes behind and the Naukluft Mountains in the distance.
Route: Sesriem – Sossusvlei - Sesriem
Journey: You will need to be on the move an hour before dawn as you make your way through a dry riverbed and across the gravel plains towards the Namib Dunes. Stop at Dune 45 before making your way to Sossusvlei with age old sands said to be around five million years old. Dead Vlei with its white pan and contrasting black scorched trees is also on our visit list. Whilst this region appears to be lifeless there are a variety of animal species that have adapted to these conditions and if we’re lucky may see Oryx antelope, ostrich, springbok and don’t forget about the birdlife and reptiles that inhabit the area. Return to your lodge for lunch, late afternoon visit to the Sesriem Canyon where the ephemeral Tsauchab River has shaped the area over millions of years. (These activities may also be done with your lodge - optional).
Route: Namib Naukluft Park - Bagatelle Game Reserve
Distance: 320 km
Journey: After breakfast your travels take you through the town of Maltahohe to Mariental and your final night stay - Bagatelle Game Ranch.
Route: Bagatelle Game Reserve - Windhoek Hosea Kutako International Airport
Distance: 260 km
Journey: Your outbound flight times will dictate as to whether a morning activity may be done.
Windhoek - Okonjima Nature Reserve - Etosha West - Epupa Falls - Palmwag - Skeleton Coast - Swakopmund - Sesriem - Mariental
1 - 4 guests – double cabin
If you are interested in booking this tour with us, please fill out the form below and we will get back to you.
Please make sure you filled out all the required fields marked with an *.
Join our mailing list to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.